My Purpose

As a recent college graduate preparing to be a teacher and a recent bride, I'm learning how to live in a limited budget. In the process, I've had to find money saving tips & ways to re-use common items, create cheap lesson plans, cook inexpensive meals, design DIY wedding projects, and more. With the economic situation that many of us are in, I think we can all use any ideas that people care to share, and that's exactly what I want to do-- share my own ideas and those that I've found in my searches. I hope you find this blog useful and share it with others.

The blog can be viewed in chronological order of posts via the "Home" button, or you can select a specific title for pages that contain information organized for one idea, such as "College," "Wedding," or "Party Planning." Also, you can view pages specific to one particular label by using the "Categories" element down the left side of the screen.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Cakes

In the past couple of years, I've been experimenting with cake decorating. I only have a few pans and a few tips to fit my one piping bage. I haven't taken any classes (only read tips online), and really have no experience (or talent for that matter!! haha), so the cakes aren't professional by any means. I really have no desire to ever become professional, but it's just a fun hobby----and its cheaper than ordering a cake from a bakery for someone's birthday. For several of my friends and for my fiance Cameron, I've made their cakes as their birthday presents. And hey, being able to make birthday cakes for my children will be kinda fun later in life!! :)

Just recently, I've come across amazing recipes for the cake and icing that I've been told makes it take just like a cake from a local bakery..... so that's exciting!

With each of the cakes, I try to find an interest of the birthday person. Some are movie themed, some are decorated with the person's favorite colors and others are done for their age (Budweiser for a 21st birthday).




This was the first cake I ever made. I used just a box cake mix and a can of icing (that I dyed blue). I didn't know how to pipe a border around the edge, so I dyed sugar and sprinkled around the cake. I found these little "Finding Nemo" figures at a local dollar store (for $1 a piece) and colored some icing for seaweed and coral.






I think this is my favorite cake that I've made. My fiance Cameron is a huge movie buff and enjoys anything that has to do with film. I was able to get a roll of actual movie film from a family member that worked at a movie theater. The film that touched the cake had to wrapped in plastic wrap because of the possibilities of the coloring and chemicals soaking into the icing. The movie reel is just a round cake, covered in gray icing, and with 5 chocolate cookies pressed into it to make the "holes." The popcorn is a square cake cut in half and stacked. The popcorn is real popcorn mixed with marshmallows and butter (as if making rice krispie treats) and formed into a mound at the top of the cake. The stripes are made from pull-n-peel licorice.


This is the most recent cake that I've made. My fiance turned thirty and to mark the milestone, I spent a while trying to decide what would be the best cake idea. I decided to create a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. It's made from two stacked square cakes, covered in gray icing everywhere except where the star would go, which was filled with red icing, and trimmed in yellow. I made a few speckles (like how the real walk has) from white jimmies.

No comments:

Post a Comment